Tuesday, January 1, 2013

36 weeks! And a happy new year!

Your baby is still packing on the pounds – at the rate of about an ounce a day. He or she now weighs almost 6 pounds (like a crenshaw melon) and is more than 18 1/2 inches long.

Your baby is shedding most of the downy hair that covered his or her body, as well as the vernix caseosa – a waxy substance that protects the skin during its nine-month bath in amniotic fluid. Your baby swallows these substances, along with other secretions, and they form a tar-like black substance called meconium which your baby passes in his or her first bowel movements.

At the end of this week, your baby will be considered full term. (Full term is 37 to 42 weeks; babies born before 37 weeks are preterm and those born after 42 are post term.) Most likely he or she is in a head-down position. But if not, your practitioner may suggest scheduling an external cephalic version. (This is a fancy way of saying that your caregiver will try to coax your baby into a head-down position by manipulating him or her from the outside of your belly.)

Happy new year!  We are only 26 days out from our due date.  WHOA.  Also, I have been pregnant for 253 days.  That is a long damn time.  haha.

I rang in the new year folding baby clothes.  Ryan did all of her laundry and I packed her diaper bag.  We're super wild.  We also had some sparking cider with his friend though, so we got a little crunk.  Today I have the day off and I am feeling so lazy.  :(  I've noticed my days off make it insanely difficult for me to get and do anything.  I am much more productive on days I have work.  

This weekend, we're going on a tour of the hospital.  That should be exciting and sufficiently nerve wrecking.  haha.  

Baby girl is MORE than welcome to stay in for a bit, as we still have a lot of organizing to do and she still has some more developing to do.  (Though, the organizing seems like it will never end.)  I cannot wait to sleep like a normal person again.  

Well, I'd better get off of this couch before I become a permanent fixture.    


No comments:

Post a Comment